So, Brian got laid off today.
Maybe I should back up. See, pretty shortly after I found out we were expecting again, things were not great in the industry Brian works (well, worked) in. I won’t go into details, but we decided that we probably ought to come up with a plan B. After much thought and deliberation we decided that this would be a good time for Brian to finish school. He’s halfway through a computer science degree but had to quit school back when I got laid off in 2009 so we could move back to Colorado. He’s wanted to finish school since we’ve been back, and we’ve talked about it several times but it’s never felt right. This time it did.
Anyway, for him to go to school full time, he wasn’t going to be able to work full time. And if he couldn’t work full time, we needed to cut WAY back on expenses. So we went to my parents and proposed that we move back in with them while Brian finishes school. They were pretty excited about this plan (no sarcasm here, my parents really like having us around. Okay, maybe it’s my darling children they like having around but whatever.) We started the process of moving back in with them and selling our house. (Which is another post for another time.) Brian got registered for school, financial aid in order, then went to his boss and suggested that he switch to working part time. And his boss said sure. This was a couple weeks ago. We figured he’d work full time until January when the semester starts, then go to part time. And then today happened.
We’re living with my parents
We have no income
AND THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME. (Unfamiliar with our history of this? Check out this post.)
We’ll have to seriously consider these patterns next time we want another baby.