1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Had a baby with Down syndrome. It is amazing how the experience could be so much like having my other kids, and at the same time be so completely different.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Pretty sure my resolution at the beginning of the year was to have a baby. And I did! I have resolutions for this year, definitely.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister! And my good friend Laura.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Unfortunately, yes. Brian’s grandmother.
5. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Brian’s. He was a super-hardworking student, but managed to also spend lots of the time with me and the kids.
6. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Nobody in my personal life, fortunately. Too many in the media.
7. Who did you miss?
Both my grandmothers. Friends who live far away. My sisters, who live down the street from each other and make me wish that all three of us could live on the same street.
8. Who was the best new person you met?
Daniel, of course.
9. Where did you travel?
Nowhere far. Utah a couple times. Denver a couple times. Having three kids really cuts down on the traveling.
10. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More hours in a day?
11. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 11th, Daniel’s birth. Obviously all my kids births have been memorable, but I imagine Daniel’s will remain particularly vivid.
12. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Staying sane with three kids? Does that count as an achievement?
13. What was your biggest failure?
Probably time management. I have a lot to work on in that area.
14. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Gestational diabetes at the end of my pregnancy. Nothing super serious.
15. What was the best thing you bought?
New yoga pants. Well, I definitely get the most use out of those anyway.
16. Where did most of your money go?
Insurance. Seriously, between sky-high premiums and Daniel’s delivery and subsequent nicu stay we payed more to our insurance than we did for Brian to go to school.
17. What did you get really excited about?
Daniel! (Man, having a baby gives a really easy answer for a lot of these questions.) Also, Brian got an interview for an internship. Very exciting! (The interview isn’t actually until later this month, but it got set up last year.)
18. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier. Life’s been good. Thinner. But probably only because I was pregnant at this time last year. Eh, about the same.
19. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Creating healthy habits. I got down to my pre-pregnancy weight fairly easily, and then quit caring and gained back about 8 lbs.
20. What do you wish you’d done less of?
21. What did you want and get?
Third baby! (Seriously, how many times can I use Daniel as an answer here?)
22. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to go to the Blathering again, but 6 month old baby plus zero funds meant that was a no-go.
23. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with family, my favorite way. You know the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band lyric, “The closest thing to heaven on this planet anywhere is a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow”? Yes, that.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Downton Abby. Basically the only show I sit down to watch when it’s actually on. Brian and I also got totally hooked on The Vampire Diaries. And I continue to be a fan of Project Runway.
25. What were your favorite books of the year?
I really loved “The Fault in our Stars”
26. What was your favorite music from this year?
I don’t even know. I am so not up to date with new music. Probably doesn’t help that the local radio stations include songs that were popular when I was in high school in with the contemporary stuff.
27. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Christina Perri, A Thousand Years. Shortly after Daniel was born one of my friends linked to a video for World Down Syndrome Day and it included that song. Every time I hear it I think of Daniel. Especially this lyric:
“I have loved you for a thousand years, I love you for a thousand more”
(Here’s the video link, if you’re interested: Ace and Archie. It’s worth watching.)
28. What were your favorite films of the year?
I don’t watch “films.” I watch stuff like Pretty Little Liars on netflix.
29. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None. I’m not big on celebrities.
30. What political issue stirred you the most?
Let’s not talk politics on my blog.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30! We…went out to dinner? I think?
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don’t know. 2012 was pretty satisfying.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Yoga pants. But that’s probably true for every year.
34. What kept you sane?
The internet. Phone calls to my sisters. A baby who is a great sleeper.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Unexpected doesn’t mean bad.