At Daniel’s 15 month visit the pediatrician said that she didn’t think his tubes were in the right place anymore and told me we ought to schedule a follow up visit with his ENT. So I got right on that, (ummm, 3 months later) and Daniel had his appointment on Tuesday. The ENT took a look and his tubes are definitely not in the right place anymore and he needs to have new ones put in. Meh. I figured this would happen since the tubes are sized and it turns out babies grow a lot between 5 months and 18 months. Sucks that he has to have surgery again, but better that we keep his ears clear of infection and fluid so he can hear properly. (Essential for speech development you know!)
Anyway, while we were there I asked the doctor to take a look at his tonsils since they seem big to me and the pediatrician agreed that they look big to her. Well. He took one look and started giving me the rundown of the risks and benefits of a tonsillectomy at this age. All I expected was to hear that they are indeed large and that we’ll wait and see what happens. NOPE. In fact, tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy tentatively scheduled for the same time as his tube placement. BUT! It is only tentative and whether it actually happens at this point depends on me. Well, depends on what I find out in the next couple weeks. I have been assigned to go into Daniel’s room an hour after he goes to sleep and listen to him breathe. IF he’s having episodes of apnea, where he’s definitely trying to get air but isn’t, they’ll do the surgery. If he’s snoring but obviously getting air he won’t. This listening proved to be trickier than I originally expected, because Daniel sleeps with a fan on. A noisy, noisy fan. And if it’s not on he won’t stay asleep. But if it IS on I can’t hear anything. Fortunately I found a quieter fan that helps him stay asleep and I can still hear him over. So far everything is good! In fact, no snoring even, which is great. If this is all I see for the next couple weeks they’ll do tubes but leave everything else alone. I’m hoping for this.
I do expect that Daniel will need his tonsils and adenoids out at some point. Some point soon even. For one thing, they ARE big. Even I can see that. Breathing troubles caused by tonsils and adenoids are more common in kids with Down syndrome, and even his cardiologist mentioned that it’s something we should pay attention to. For another, Brian and I have both needed ours out. I actually think Kalena needs hers out too. However, there are a couple big reasons I want to wait on Daniel’s. They won’t prescribe pain medication to anyone under 2. If he had his tonsils out now, it’s over the counter meds only, which NO. I know they say recovery isn’t as bad for kids, but I VIVIDLY remember how awful I felt and no way am I doing that to a child with only ibuprofen to ease the suffering. Additionally, we will likely move after Brian graduates in December, and chances are good that wherever we move to will be close to a children’s hospital. I would feel WAY more comfortable having a procedure like that done at a children’s hospital.
Either way, tube surgery again on October 7th.